If GTA V is crashing on startup with the "unable to start" error, you can try some possible fixes for the problem.
The error "The application was unable to start correctly" often appears with the code 0xc0000142 or 0xc000007b, and when it does you cannot launch GTA V.
What is the "application was unable to start correctly" error?
Depending on which code you got with the error, it could have a different meaning.
As it may be obvious, the error suggests that something went wrong when trying to launch the application, there are several reports of this happening on Windows 10, specifically with games.
There isn't much detail available about the error codes meaning, unfortunately, this is an error that will make you try several possible solutions to get it fixed.
Fixing the unable to launch error on GTA V
With many possible causes for the error, there are a few solutions to try that commonly fix the problem:
- Update Windows: On the search bar, type Windows Update, select the first result, and press Check for updates. You may need to restart your computer after updating Windows
- Remove and install the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages again
- Run GTA V in compatibility mode for Windows 7
- Enable the Microsoft .NET framework
Other possible solutions:
- Reinstall the game
- Update your drivers
- Make sure you have the minimum requirements to run the game
Run GTA V in Windows 7 compatibility mode
Making GTA run in compatibility mode with Windows 7 can potentially fix the issue.
- Right-click the GTA V icon on your desktop, or search for it on the search bar
- Click on Properties
- Go to the Compatibility tab
- Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for"
- Select Windows 7
- Press ok to confirm your changes
After that, try running the game and check if the issue is solved.
Rebooting the computer is not needed.
Enable the Microsoft .NET Framework
In Windows 10 enabling Microsoft .NET Framework may solve the problem.
You can do that with the following steps:
- On your taskbar or the Start menu, search for Windows Features and open the first result
- On the list check .NET Framework 3.5
- Click on ok and reboot your computer if Windows asks you to
You can also check the dotnet download page and install any version you want using the offline installer.
Removing and installing the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
A potential fix for the error is making sure you have all the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages needed.
The Visual C++ packages are needed for many applications on your system, so do this reinstallation at your own risk!
Uninstall all Visual C++ Redistributable Packages on your system:
- Open the Start menu
- Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features
- Search for "Microsoft Visual C++"
- Click and remove any results
Install Visual C++ Redistributable Packages:
- Open the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Downloads page
- Scroll down to Visual Studio 2008 and download the x64, then double click the installation file and install it
- Scroll up to the 2010 version, 2012, 2013, and the latest one and install them in that order
If you need another version that is not the x64 install it instead.
What to do if you cannot solve the issue
If you still have problems with this issue, you can contact the support for Grand Theft Auto V.
On the GTA V Support page, you can select an appropriate support category and submit a ticket, having contacted the Rockstar Games customer support before, I didn't personally have any trouble with them.
If you solved the issue by other means, please let us know to keep the article updated.